Final Installation Project Proposal

When Jamie, Sally, and I all agreed upon doing a childhood simulation theme for our final project, I immediately thought about some of my childhood activities such as hopscotch, drawing, playing with toys, playing on swings. So for that first idea, I thought about using cardboard and ropes to make swings, using chalks to draw out hopscotch, using papers, colored pencils, and plush toys to decorate the installation space. At first, I was thinking about using warm color tone for this installation to make it look cozy. However, I explored and tried so many different stuff as a kid, and I usually got myself dirty after playing. Thus, I changed my idea to using colorful colors since kids are all about creativity and imagination.

Hopscotch

Swings

After meeting up with Jamie and Sally, we came up with more and more ideas. Instead of doing only one space and making it all about childhood simulation, we agreed to do one more space about the present. Our installation then shifts to depicting our childhood intimate space in comparison with our present space. On one side, this installation creates emotional flashbacks of our childhoods and our old memories, which would make the space become “personal.” On the other side, there would be an interactive space called “present,” which represents our untold future. This "present" space will be presented with a minimal setup, so that viewers can interact with this blank space, by drawing on to this space or even decorating this space with their own stuff, to describe how they would write their future. By doing both the childhood and the “present” space, and letting the audiences interact with only the “present” space help us emphasize the fact that one cannot change but only can recall the past, but one can always draw the future.



Comments

Popular Posts