The Very First Installation...

As my very first installation finally happened, I realized that installation can literally be about anything. To me, the experience was incredible. Little did I know how even some plastic bags could turn into something useful and beautiful in installation art. I had fun doing a collage envelope of films and a collage shirt of films on Jamie's drawing. I am current obsessed with collages and it was nice seeing how those were used for installation.

When elements that appeared to be so dissimilar were put together, they produced a cohesive creative space. And, as I worked and observed throughout the process, color tone and shade were critical as we purposefully displayed various objects together. Take a look at the image below as an example. The overall tone of this corner is really neutral. The tone of everything, from the boxes to the chair, the wall, and the floor, is neutral, or at the very least has a white or black hue on it to tone it down.  Even though the shoes are red, the purple-red color does not stick out. When placed in a neutral tone environment, however, the green sheets really pop out. In my opinion, the green papers attract me a lot into looking at that corner.


Another great thing I noticed was lighting. Objects in installation can truly exhibit their beauty and the connection of the installation location with the correct illumination. When we turned off all the lights to watch the projector on installation day, the only thing that mattered was the video being displayed. All of the installations were hidden. Even with dim light, without the right spotlight for objects, I could not feel the beauty and chaos of the place.

In addition, I love how we simply just put all of the leftover materials on the ground to invite the audiences to come and interact with them, make art on their own. And interactive installation art plays an important part in the history of installation art.

Comments

  1. Yes! I agree that lighting is important. After seeing your blog, I remembered that in the Mud Gallery, there are several different lighting. When we turn the overhead incandescent lights on, the whole room is brighter, but the installation arts would not stand out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts